Meatloaf is a traditional American home cooking dish. “Meatloaf” literally translates as “meatloaf” or “meat bread. The first mentions of this recipe were found in a Roman cookbook, and they date back to the 5th century. However, the birthplace of the modern viand with this name is the United States. Being a very hearty and quite simple dish to prepare, meatloaf has gained wide popularity in many countries of the world.
Among its ingredients are simple products available in every kitchen like beef, turkey, vegetables, but this does not prevent it from conquering even the most demanding gourmets. This publication describes some of the subtleties of preparing the dish and tips on how, using imagination and basic culinary skills, to diversify it and make it unique.
The secrets of making superb meatloaf
The recipe for meatloaf is very popular for a reason. After all, with the most unpretentious set of products you can prepare a hearty and tasty dish for the whole family, and with the proper desire to complement it with culinary delights and create an unforgettable holiday and quite eccentric dish.
Here are some useful tips to know before you start making meatloaf:
- To make it easier to take the meatloaf out of the mold without damaging its integrity, the bottom of the container itself should be lined with foil or parchment paper.
- Be sure to carefully place the stuffing. It should fill the form very tightly. If there are voids, the bread will crumble and lose its meaning.
- When using low-fat meats, be sure to add broth or bacon to the stuffing. Thin layers of lard with layers can be wrapped in the whole product, then the meat bread will not be dry.
- Meatloaf is a very rich and fatty dish, so it is better to combine it with vegetables or serve it with a glass of red wine, which will help to assimilate the dish better.
- Almost any kind of meat and even by-products can be added to the meat bread, but never fish. With fish, it would be a completely different recipe and name.
Top 5 Meatloaf Recipes
A seemingly intricate recipe that is actually very easy to make. Meatloaf is great for unexpected guests or when you do not want to bother with dinner. By mixing several types of minced meat and vegetables to your liking, it is possible to create your own harmony of taste. If you have not yet tried to cook such a popular dish and have not yet developed personal preferences, we are ready to share the most popular recipes collected from around the world.
The original version uses two kinds of meat: pork and beef. This is the basic rule. For everything else, meatloaf recipe can have variations depending on the culinary preferences of the cook and his guests. Meat loaf stuffing is a matter of imagination, do not be afraid to experiment. If you are not confident in your culinary skills, use the classic recipe, and in subsequent cooking, come up with your own variations.
The calories per 100 grams are 334 kcal.
Servings quantity – 6 servings.
Cooking time – 1,5 hours
- Beef – 20 oz/500 g
- Pork – 20 oz/500 gr
- Onions – 2 pcs
- Garlic – 1 head
- Yellow pepper – 1 pc.
- Sweet red pepper – 1 pc.
- Egg – 2 units.
- Bread crumbs – 3 oz/100 g
- Bacon – 3 oz/100 gr
- Vegetable oil – 2 tbsp.
- Black pepper, turmeric, paprika, salt – to taste
- Greens of parsley and dill.
Step by step classic meatloaf cooking:
- Cut the pork and beef into pieces and pass through a meat grinder.
- Peel the onion and garlic, add to the minced meat and pass through the meat grinder a second time. Stuffing should be very fine, so that the texture of the finished dish resembles real bread.
- Add breadcrumbs, eggs and spices to the ready-made meat, mix thoroughly and let stand for 15 minutes. This way, the breadcrumbs will soften and the mince will be more homogeneous.
- In the meantime, wash the peppers, remove seeds from them and cut into cubes with a side of 1 cm.
- Evenly knead the stuffing with the peppers and put it in a container for bread, pre-greasing it with vegetable oil. If there is no container at hand, you can use a regular baking tray and put the stuffing in the form of a rounded loaf.
- On top the bread is covered with thinly sliced bacon slices and baked at a temperature of at least 180 degrees, for about one hour.
- The meatloaf can be served hot or cold, with vegetables or sauces.
In the United States, one of the most revered holidays is Catholic Christmas, for which turkey is traditionally cooked. Therefore, this variation of the holiday meatloaf is also prepared with the meat of this bird and supplemented with the best products. This variation is also in great demand in European countries, because turkey is a less caloric meat and more suitable for a healthy diet.
- Turkey filet – 25 oz/700 g
- Broth – 3 oz/100 g
- Medium size onions – 1 pc.
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Sweet pepper – 1 pc
- Mushrooms – 6 oz/200 gr
- Carrot – 1 pc.
- Egg – 1 pc.
- Salted crackers – 6 oz/200 g
- Yogurt Classic – 2 tbsp.
- Tomato paste or ketchup – 4 tbsp.
- Pureed fresh pumpkin seeds – 1 oz/20 g
- Parsley greens, basil – 2 oz/50 g
- Salt and spices – to taste
- Olive oil for frying – 2 tbsp.
Step-by-step preparation of the Christmas meatloaf:
- Grind turkey fillets through a meat grinder or shred with a blender until finely chopped. You can also use ready-made minced meat.
- Place crackers in a thick bag and break them with a rolling pin to crumbs. The same can be done with a mortar or blender.
- Mix minced meat, crackers, egg and yogurt, mix thoroughly and set aside.
- Chop the vegetables: onion, garlic, mushrooms, peppers. Carrot can be grated on a coarse grater.
- Heat a pan with olive oil and fry the onion until golden brown, then add the garlic, peppers, carrots and mushrooms. Bring the vegetables to half-cooked in 5-7 minutes over low heat.
- Mix minced meat and vegetables, add broth, salt and spices. When adding salt, take into account that the cracker in the mince was originally salty.
- Put the ready mass in a container for baking bread or on a loaf-shaped baking tray. The stuffing should lie very tightly, especially in the corners, so that the finished culinary product is beautiful and resembles the shape of bread.
- Spread tomato paste on top of our loaf, and sprinkle the seeds on it. Bake at 210 degrees for 40-50 minutes.
- After cooking, do not hurry to take it out of the container, let it cool a bit. When serving, cut into slices and sprinkle with chopped greens.
Meatloaf from beef with onion sauce
In its meaning, meat bread is very similar to a large cutlet or meatloaf, but it is this dish that has a richer and more vibrant flavor. And to be sure of this, you need to try it in person. It is very easy to prepare meatloaf from beef, using the following recipe.
- Ground beef – 25 oz/700 gr
- Onion – 1 pc.
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Chicken egg – 2 pcs.
- Small zucchini – 1 pc.
- Sweet pepper – 1 pc.
- Dark beer – 2 glasses
- Red onion – 4 units.
- Water – 5 oz/150 gr
- Brown sugar – 3 oz/100 g
- Grill seasoning – 2 tbsp.
- Hard cheese – 6 oz/200 gr
- Salt and pepper – to taste
- Vegetable oil – 1 tbsp.
Step by step preparation of beef meatloaf with onion sauce:
- Finely chop onion, garlic, zucchini and peppers. Heat a frying pan and fry vegetables in oil until half-ready.
- Let them cool a little and add them to the stuffing, sprinkle with seasoning and salt.
- Boil the eggs and cool them.
- Divide the beer into 2 parts and add 1 glass to the stuffing.
- Grate cheese and also send to the meat and mix it thoroughly.
- To prepare the sauce, chop red onion, melt sugar and water in a pan, salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the onions and the rest of the beer, stirring over low heat until slightly thick.
- In a baking dish, place 1/3 of our stuffing, then place peeled whole eggs on top of it and cover them with the rest of the stuffing.
- Bake the minced meat bread for at least 40 minutes at 180 degrees. After that, grease the entire surface with sauce and cut into slices.
Meatloaf from Turkey
This kind of meatloaf will do for those who are trying to reduce fat intake and opt for some dietary meat.
- 25-30 oz/750-800 grams of turkey breast
- 1 small celery root
- 1 large onion
- 1 egg white
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 4 sprigs of parsley
- 1 tsp. ground oregano powder
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- salt, white pepper
Step-by-step preparation guidelines:
- Peel the celery from the coarse skin, cut the flesh into large chunks and steam until soft, about 20 minutes.
- Then mash potato into a purée. I took celery stalks and did not boil (chopped together with the meat in a food processor).
- Grind turkey breast on a meat grinder with coarse holes. Chop onion and parsley.
- Whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt to a lush froth. Mix the ground turkey, celery, onion, mustard, olive oil, parsley and oregano in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper and gently fold in the egg white to form a smooth mass.
- Grease a rectangular mold with butter, place the stuffing in it, flatten the surface, cover with foil, and place in a preheated 220 degree oven for 40 minutes. Remove the foil and cook for 10 minutes more.
- Remove from oven and let stand under foil for another 15 minutes. Serve hot.
Meatloaf with oatmeal
Another healthy, nutritious yet quite dietary version which can be cooked on a regular basis.
Ingredients for 8 servings:
- Ground mixed minced meat 35 oz/1 kg
- medium onion 2 pieces
- garlic 3 cloves
- medium bunch parsley
- eggs 1 piece
- oat flakes 3 oz/100 grams
- ground cumin 1 teaspoon
- semi-hard cheese 4 oz/120 grams
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine in a bowl minced meat, grated cheese, finely chopped onion, garlic and parsley, as well as the remaining ingredients.
- Mix until homogeneous.
- Put it on a baking tray covered with foil and form an oblong loaf.
- Put it into a preheated oven to 200 degrees and bake for 45 minutes, until the meat juices run clear.
- Let the ready loaf rest at room temperature for 10 minutes, then slice and serve.
Meatloaf with vegetables
This meatloaf includes lots of chopped vegetables. The roll is a great way to make picky children to eat their veggies. If there is a vegetable your family doesn’t stand, don’t hesitate to substitute it with another kind. Chopped mushrooms, shredded zucchini, eggplants or asparagus are just some of vast majority of options.
- 1 pound/500 gr. of ground beef
- 1/2 pound/250 gr. of ground pork
- 1 cup of onions (chopped)
- 1 green or red pepper
- 1 large potato (baked potato or russet)
- 2 medium carrots
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon herb seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 2/3 cup ketchup (split)
Step by step preparation process of this meatloaf with vegetables
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine and mix ground beef with pork.
- Peel onion and finely chop. Take away seeds and stems from bell peppers, then chop them.
- Peel and chop potatoes and carrots.
- Add the chopped and shredded vegetables to the meat along with the vegetable broth, salt, herb seasoning and pepper.
- Lightly beat the egg and add half of the ketchup (1/3 cup) to the bowl.
- Use your hands to mix all the ingredients together.
- Pack the meat and vegetable mixture into a lightly greased 9-by-5-by-3-inch meatloaf or loaf pan, or form the mixture into a loaf shape and place in a rimmed, foil-lined baking pan.
- Bake the meatloaf in the preheated oven for 1 hour.
- Carefully pour out and discard excess grease, and spread the remaining 1/3 cup ketchup over the top of the loaf; bake about 20-30 minutes longer.