Waffles are a special kind of biscuit, thin plates with a cellular imprint. Waffles are baked from liquid whipped dough in special molds – waffle makers. Homemade waffles are baked not only for individual use, but also as a basis for more sophisticated products – waffle cakes, waffle tubes, rosettes with stuffing, etc. Depending on further use, crispy waffles or soft waffles are prepared, consisting of such ingredients as bananas, oatmeal, pumpkin, blueberries, being rich in protein and so on and so forth. Those looking for waffle recipes for the electric waffle maker will find a number of simple and healthy options to bake.
Liège waffles are the oldest renominated Belgian waffles. They were invented as early as the eighteenth century. The recipe for Liège waffles has the following two characteristics: The real Belgian Liège waffles are made from yeast dough with bits of sugar mixed in immediately before baking, the so-called “sugar pearls”. They are now made on purpose: they are very large and irregularly shaped sugar granules. It allows to get the most interesting effect – Liège waffles turn out to be covered with a caramel shell! In this respect they are really absolutely unique, and it is worth trying them. However, we’re not going to go to Belgium to get them, we’ll make them at home. It’s real.
- Flour – 300 g
- Water – 100 ml
- Brown sugar – 2 tbsp.
- Honey – 2 tbsp.
- Vanilla – 1 bean
- Butter – 100 gr
- Yeast – 10 g
- Sugar granules – 100 gr
Step-by-step instruction on how to make classic belgian waffles
- Knead the yeast in the warm water, stir in a couple of spoonfuls of flour and let foam form.
- Combine the water, yeast and flour.
- Those who use vanilla cut open the pod and remove the seeds. I try to make Liège waffles with the ingredients that existed in the eighteenth century. Nowadays, more vanillin and vanilla extract are used, but that makes the flavor less subtle.
- Take out the vanilla seeds.
- Knead the dough with the rest of the flour, foamed yeast starter, two eggs, vanilla, honey and sugar. The dough should form into a lump and stick well off the sides of the bowl.
- Add eggs, honey and sugar.
- Melt butter (4 minutes in the microwave on thaw mode).
- Melt butter.
- Let the dough rise under clingfilm for 1 hour.
- Cover the dough with cling film.
- In small batches, incorporate the butter into the dough until dissolved.
- Pour the dough.
- Let the dough rise under clingfilm for at least 4 hours, or better yet, an entire night.
- Allow the dough to rise.
- Just before we start baking the waffles, when the waffle iron is already warm, pour the sugar granulate into the batter.
- Stir in the sugar granules.
- Shape the dough into 4 balls.
- Ready dough
- Bake the waffles in a waffle iron on medium or high power with a strong pressure at the beginning. The time depends on the waffle maker (I have about 3 minutes), but the Liège waffles should not be light, but brown anyway. It’s the caramel that stands out from the “sugar pearls.” That sheen you see on the waffle is not grease, as you might assume, but it is also the very same, crispy! By the way, immediately after baking, be sure to fill the waffle maker with water while it’s hot, or it will be hard to clean later.
Waffles with oatmeal
Oatmeal waffles are a hearty, tasty and healthy breakfast. They differ from conventional wheat waffles in their texture (denser and softer, not so airy). Oat waffles go well with honey or jam. Served hot or warm.
The list of ingredients:
- oat flakes 2.5 cups
- water 1,5 cup
- olive oil 3 tbsp.
- soy milk 1,5 cup
- salt 1/2 tsp.
The process of preparation
- Mix all the ingredients (cereal, water, milk, salt, butter) in a blender until the batter has a soft, creamy texture.
- Prepare the waffle iron, and when it is hot enough, start baking the oatmeal waffles.
I’ve always loved Belgian waffles, it’s a weakness of mine. But they are so delicious and so calorie-dense. I found a solution. A very cool and correct recipe for healthy waffles. Catch it and you. To make these waffles, first of all you need to mix all the ingredients for the dough. Just four ingredients and 20 minutes of time.
The list of ingredients:
- Kefir150 ml
- Egg whites 4 pcs.
- Egg yolks 2 pcs.
- Oat Flakes 150g
- Protein 25 gr
A couple of words about the nutritional value of these waffles:
- Caloric value composition: 159 kcal
- Protein: 12 gr
- Fats: 5 gr
- Carbohydrates: 23 g
Step-by-step guidelines of the preparation process
Prepare all the ingredients above.
- Grind the oatmeal with a blender, thus turning it into flour. I used a regular hand blender.
- We take two whole eggs and from the other two we need only the white. We mix that with our oat flour.
- In the blender bowl to the oat flour and eggs we pour 150 ml of kefir 1% fat. Then beat it.
- Add 1 scoop of protein. If you don’t have any protein, it’s okay. You don’t have to add any. I have a coconut flavor. It turned out very tasty. If banana / chocolate and stuff like that would also be delicious. If desired, you can add bananas to the batter to taste. But pay attention to the calories.
- All together we beat well in a blender.
The dough is ready.
Once the dough is ready, you can proceed directly to frying waffles. To do this, you need to prepare a grill (electric grill, waffle grill or open grill). As a rule, the panels of the device have a non-stick coating and do not require additional fat. But if this is not the case, you should grease the surface with a piece of butter.
Preheat the waffle iron, I have an electric grill with attachments for Belgian waffles. The temperature is set automatically, but the recommended 200-230 degrees.
The batter should be poured on the work surface in small portions, so that the waffles are not too thick and have time to bake inside. Fry the waffles until a delicious golden color, focusing on the power of a particular device. In the case of an open grill, it is necessary to turn the waffles to the other side.
The waffles are very tasty and healthy due to the composition. And insanely beautiful. We can add fruit/berries/sour cream/jam and more to the dish.
Waffles with bananas
To make the waffles sweet but as low in calories as possible, sweeten the dough with fruit – a banana is the best way to do this.
The necessary ingredients:
- whole wheat flour2 cups
- 2 eggs
- skim milk1.7 cup
- apple puree1/2 cup
- banana1 pc.
- baking powder4 tsp.
- stevia powder1 tbsp.
- salt1/4 tsp.
- cinnamon1/2 tsp.
The preparation process
- In one bowl, beat the eggs until they begin to bubble slightly. Add the milk and mashed apples to them and whisk further until smooth. In another bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, stevia, salt and cinnamon.
- Combine the contents of both bowls. Soften the banana to the consistency of puree and add to the resulting mixture.
- As soon as the waffle iron is warm, start baking the waffles, each one until golden brown.
Waffles with pumpkin
Pumpkin waffles are a great option for those who want to disguise the pumpkin so picky eaters won’t even notice the presence of this healthy vegetable in a dish. What’s more, pumpkin really isn’t noticeable in these deliciously thick, sunny-side up waffles! Pumpkin waffles go down a treat, especially at breakfast time!
- Eggs – 3 pcs.
- Sour cream – 3 tbsp.
- Pumpkin – 250 gr
- Corn flour – 200 gr
- Sugar – 50 gr
- Vanillin – 2 gr
- Baking powder – 1 tsp.
- Vegetable oil – for frying
Step-by-step guidelines on how to prepare waffles with pumpkin
- Combine the eggs, sugar and vanilla. Lightly beat with a whisk.
- Add sour cream and mix again.
- Add cornflour and baking powder and stir with a whisk.
- Now it’s turn of pumpkin. Grate the pumpkin, put it in the batter and stir the batter again, but with a spatula (it’s more convenient).
- Preheat the waffle iron and start to fry. When the waffle iron is hot, grease it with vegetable oil or fat (whatever you like) and put the batter.
- Close the waffle iron and wait for the waffles to fry. Cooking time depends on your particular waffle maker. It takes me 3-5 minutes, depending on the desired degree of browning. So fry the pumpkin waffles in the waffle iron until the batter runs out.
Delicious ruddy waffles are ready – help yourself! Bon appetit!
Waffles with blueberry
The waffles made with this recipe are similar to pancakes – they are tender, have a nice creamy taste, sweet and very tasty, just what you need for breakfast. There are whole blueberries in the dough, that is why a waffle iron must have large cells, so that the berries are not pressed when closing the mold. Making blueberry waffles is a pleasure, and the result will be a minimum of dirty dishes, which for the morning meal, you will agree, quite convenient. Serve blueberry waffles warm, with honey, condensed milk, or vanilla sauce.
- Chicken egg 2 pcs.
- granulated sugar 120 g
- Butter 50g
- Sour cream 20% 100 g
- Cow’s milk 100 g
- 1 pinch salt
- Wheat flour 200 g
- Baking powder 1 tsp.
- Blueberries 100 g
How to make these waffles
- In a bowl, beat the chicken eggs.
- To the eggs we pour the sugar.
- Beat the eggs and sugar with a mixer for three minutes. The mixture should lighten and increase significantly. Melt and cool the butter, pour it into the egg-sugar mixture, beat everything for a few more seconds.
- We add the sour cream to the resulting mixture.
- Here we also pour room temperature milk. With a mixer, whip the mixture until homogeneous.
- Pour in a pinch of salt, stir to combine.
- Mix the wheat flour with the baking powder, pour the dry ingredients into the liquid mixture. Knead a homogeneous dough. For this you can use a whisk or use a mixer on low speed.
- Pour the blueberries into the resulting batter.
- Carefully mix blueberries into the batter so that the berries are not deformed and do not let the juice.
- Preheat a coarse mesh waffle iron (for making thick biscuit waffles). Place 1-1.5 tbsp of batter per batch. The cooking time for the waffles depends on the specific waffle maker model.
- The blueberry waffles are ready! The number of ingredients suggested in the recipe makes about 12-13 waffles.
- Serve blueberry waffles warm for breakfast or for dessert with honey or any other sweet sauce.