There are different easy recipes for granola, but the basic ingredient is cereal – oatmeal, wheat, rye, rice. Dates, prunes, dried apricots, raisins, nuts, seeds, honey, fruits, berries, sometimes spices and pieces of chocolate are added as well as maple syrup depending on whether you’d like low sugar content or not. All the ingredients you mix in any proportion and baked in the oven until crispy. The granola is stirred in the process of baking to maintain its crumbly texture. The heat treatment gives this dish a brighter and richer flavor. The good thing about homemade granola is that you can use whatever foods you like in any amount.
How to cook granola: secrets and subtleties
These are some useful tips to get the most of your granola potential.
- The nuts should be chopped into pieces beforehand, but not in a blender. The amount is about half the weight of the flakes or more, to your taste.
- It is better to take liquid sweetener – honey, fruit or chocolate syrup. They evenly coat the cereal, nuts and dried fruit, unlike sugar. But if you add a little brown sugar to the syrup or honey, the granola will turn out crunchy, and this will give it a twist.
- Don’t forget the vegetable oil either – it brings out the flavor of the ingredients and keeps the granola from turning into a gooey mess. The best solution – olive or coconut oil, with which the snack will acquire a pleasant aroma and taste. If you mix the butter with whipped egg white beforehand, the granola will be especially tasty and crunchy; in addition, the egg white will help the flakes and nuts bind better.
- Be sure to salt granola, but just a little – this will make it very bright and spicy. In addition to nuts, use pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and flax seeds, sesame seeds, millet and coconut. Cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, or more “salty” flavors such as rosemary, ginger, and sage are good spices.
- Add dried fruit only after baking, otherwise it will become too hard and dry. In addition to the traditional apricots, dates, prunes, raisins you can take dried apples, mangoes, papaya, pineapple, figs, dried cherries and berries. If you are making chocolate granola, you can add cocoa powder before cooking and chocolate shavings only after baking into the cooled mass.
- Combine different flavors and experiment so that your breakfasts are always satisfying and not boring. But don’t mix too many ingredients, or the taste will be lost. Granola is convenient because you can take it to work, on trips and hikes. It is excellent for satisfying hunger and satisfying the need for dessert.
- The caloric value of granola depends on the composition, but even on a diet you can afford this treat if you do not go overboard with honey and nuts. There is no doubt about the benefits of granola, because it is prepared only from natural whole foods.
Nut granola with flaxseed oil
There are different ways to make granola at home.
One of these easy ways looks like this
- Combine in a bowl 200 g of cereal, 70 g of crushed almonds, 50 g of pumpkin seeds, 40 g of peanuts, 50 g of sunflower seeds.
- Mix 50 ml of water and the same amount of linseed oil in a heat-resistant container, bring them to a boil, and then add 150 g of honey.
- Stir well, then pour the liquid into the dry mixture, and stir well again.
- Preheat oven to 140 ° C, line a baking tray with parchment, grease it with linseed oil, and put the granola.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, until golden, stirring occasionally to prevent it from sticking and burning.
- Serve with natural yogurt and fruit.
Apple granola with seeds
There is nothing tastier and healthier than apple granola, which recipe is suitable for making at home.
- Mix together 350g of cereals, 60g of white sesame seeds, 50g of sunflower seeds, 40g of almonds and 1 tsp of unshelled cinnamon.
- Peel and de-seed 2 sweet apples and purée the pulp.
- Mix the apple puree with 3 tbsp of honey and 3 tbsp of olive oil.
- Now combine the dry and liquid products and mix them thoroughly again.
- The oven should already be preheated to 130 °C.
- Place baking paper on a baking tray, place the cereal and apples on it, place the granola in the oven for half an hour and stir every 5 minutes.
- Cool the granola and add it to cottage cheese, kefir or smoothies for a delicious and healthy super breakfast!
Granola with mango and red currants
This healthy dessert will appeal to all figure-conscious sweet eaters.
- Grate mango on a fine grater and grind in a mortar 150g of any nuts. Squeeze the juice from 250g of red currants.
- Mix together 200 g of rolled oats, 100 g of rye flakes, crushed nuts and 50 g of any seeds – sunflower, pumpkin or sesame seeds.
- Add 120 g of honey, 60 g of sunflower oil, a pinch of salt and nutmeg to the currant juice.
- Put the bowl with the liquid ingredients on the fire and heat, stirring constantly.
- Once the mixture is homogeneous, remove it from the heat and add 1 tbsp. orange zest and mango pulp.
- Stir the mixture well and combine it with the dry products – cereal, nuts and seeds.
- Bake the granola in a mold lined with oiled baking paper. Bake for 30-40 minutes at 160°C, stirring occasionally.
- Serve this fragrant and delicious granola with pudding, natural yogurt and fresh mango.