The “commonness” of white cabbage creates the impression that this vegetable is useless in respect to health. Only cabbage’s importance in dieting and weight loss programs seems indisputable, thanks to its low calorie content and abundance of fiber. Meanwhile, the substances contained in cabbage significantly reduce the risk of colon cancer, prevent the development of atherosclerosis, eliminate the effects of radiation exposure and therapeutically affect a number of other body systems. We discuss its nutritional, medicinal and cosmetic properties in our article.
Useful properties of cabbage
Composition and calories
Raw cabbage contains (per 100 g):
- Calories – 25 Kcal
- Protein – 1.28 g
- Fat – 0.1 g
- Carbohydrates – 5.8 g
- Water – 92.18 g
Vitamins and Minerals (mg):
- Vitamin C – 36.6
- Potassium, K – 170
- Vitamin B4 – 10.7
- Calcium, Ca – 40
- Vitamin B3 – 0.234
- Phosphorus, P – 26
- Vitamin B5 – 0.212
- Sodium, Na – 18
- Vitamin E – 0.15
- Magnesium, Mg – 12
Medicinal properties of cabbage
White cabbage contains 16 free amino acids (among them tryptophan, lysine, methionine, tyrosine, histamine and others). Cabbage is rich in vitamins A, B1, B6, C (ascorbigen), P, K, antiulcer vitamin U, salts of potassium and phosphorus, trace elements: cobalt, copper, zinc, magnesium. It contains sugars, fats, enzymes (lactose, protease, lipase), hormones and phytoncides. Cabbage leaves contain fiber, which prevents the development of atherosclerosis and improves the function of the gastrointestinal tract. Salts of potassium play important role, they activate the removal of excess fluid from the body, and sodium salts, which has the property to bind water.
Fresh cabbage juice has anti-cough and expectorant properties. The almost complete absence of purine bases in cabbage makes it very useful in the dietary diet of sufferers of gout and cholelithiasis. Juice, salads and dishes of cabbage are effective against heart and kidney diseases due to the high content of potassium salts, with atherosclerosis (the presence of pectin, which can remove toxins and cholesterol from the body, and fiber, which withdraws cholesterol and improves bowel motor function).
Role in nutrition
Cabbage is low in calories and has no harmful fats. In addition, it contains tartaric acid, which prevents obesity: this acid slows down the conversion of carbohydrates into fat. This fact makes the vegetable indispensable in the menu of people who want to lose excess weight. But it is more reasonable to include cabbage in the diet of thinners, of course, in fresh or sauerkraut form, because tartrone acid is destroyed by heat treatment.
However, and heat-treated cabbage can be the basis of a diet aimed at rapid and gentle weight loss: we are talking about the famous low-calorie cabbage soup. The methodology of this diet allows you to include certain products, scheduled by day, but the main dish is cabbage soup.
To prepare such a fat-burning soup will require: 2 large onions, 2 green bell peppers, two large tomatoes, 250 g of mushrooms, a bunch of celery greens, ½ a cabbage bale, 3 carrots, salt, pepper, any seasonings or spices to taste. In a deep pan, in a small amount of vegetable oil, fry chopped onion and pepper. Add chopped tomatoes, mushrooms, celery, cabbage, carrots and stew over low heat for a couple of minutes. Transfer the vegetables to a pot, pour 12 cups of water, pour salt, spices and seasonings and cook over medium heat until the soft consistency of the vegetable mass. This cabbage soup for weight loss can be eaten several times a day.
Recipes for cosmetics based on white cabbage include cabbage juice, brine, sauerkraut, whole or chopped fresh cabbage leaves.
- Face mask of white cabbage (for oily skin): mix two tablespoons of crushed into a pulp cabbage leaves with whipped egg white. Apply to cleansed skin. Leave on for half an hour and then rinse off with lukewarm water.
- With oily skin it is recommended to wipe your face before washing with a cotton pad soaked in Sauerkraut juice. Also useful is wiping with a lotion made up of fresh cabbage and cucumber juice taken equally.
- Cabbage mask for dry skin: on cleansed skin, apply cosmetic cream or nourishing cream. Tissue napkin soaked in 100 ml of fresh cabbage juice, and squeeze lightly on the face. As the napkin dries, moisten the cloth evenly with juice. The application to stand for at least a quarter of an hour.
- With dry skin is also effective mask: Mash of fresh cabbage leaves mixed with egg yolk and vegetable oil (all ingredients in equal parts). Apply to the face, wash off after 20 minutes with warm water.
- Whitening cabbage mask: to get rid of freckles and age spots is useful daily rub the face with the juice of sauerkraut.
Combination with other foods
Cabbage refers to green and non-starchy vegetables. White cabbage combines well with vegetables of its type: cucumbers, bell peppers, onions, garlic, radishes, carrots, beets, young pumpkins. Cabbage is not compatible with milk, but it works well paired with fats (for example, with butter): a dish of such combinations our body digests well. By itself, cabbage is not a bad side dish to a meat dish.